I had a great conversation with Australian contemporary artist James Guppy. His paintings are figurative and surreal and his subject matter is life mortality, animals, flowers, fairies and recently men in suits — on stilts.
Here is what we talk about:
- Creative heroes,
- “Good art is a virus that affects the way we see the world for evermore.”
- Mural art,
- Working with acrylic paint,
- Figurative painting in the modern world,
- Contemporary and figurative art divide in Australia,
- Most shocking painting to make,
- Byron bay,
- New age influences,
- Strong women,
- Middle aged fairies,
- Working in America,
- Aggressive capitalism,
- The aftermath of message painting,
- Street art,
- Future work,
- Social media,
- Vintage pornography,
- Most moving painting to make,
- Artistic challenges,
To find out more about James and his work
For James on Instagram click here
Thanks for listening!
If you enjoyed this episode, please leave a review and rating on iTunes.
I read every review and it helps to make the podcast better.
Music by The Argyle Pimps. Thanks lads.